05 December 2011

Blogging Mentor Mondays: Kelley Smith

Kelley Smith from Writtled is here! Kelley writes seriously spectacular book reviews on her blog. Her reviews have led me to read three books I absolutely loved that I may not have read otherwise. Yeah, she's that good.

Hi, Kelley! Give us the low-down on yourself/writing: I have always loved writing, but that’s what everyone says, right? Actually, before I ever started writing things down, I would come up with wild stories inside of my head to keep myself entertained, and my friends too, actually. I’ve always been in a perpetual state of brainstorming, I suppose :)
I write mainly YA, and romantically inclined YA at that, but I have plans to write New Adult, Romance, Horror, and all kinds of YA under the sun. Have I mentioned I keep a running to-do list of plot lines I need to get to? I have so many books to write, and so little time to do it in. But that’s the writer’s dilemma I suppose. Lol!

It's cool that you write several genres; it shows your versatility.

What inspired you to start your blog? It started as kind of a New Year’s Resolution that died shortly after it was made. I think I started it up again around March, maybe? But it did take a while for me to do it with a fiery passion.
I wanted to be able to meet new writer friends, and people in general, and I had always wanted to have a space where I could write about things that interested me. Now, I’ve met a lot of great (really great), inspiring people, and I’ve found a love for book blogging through it all!

Your blog is perfect for YA writers inclined towards romance. Your reviews are the bomb!

How do you build your blog following? I think the best way to build a blog following is to be active: go to people’s blogs; read their posts; and comment on their posts. Last, but not least, follow other people. They normally return the favor if you make your blog interesting!

Follow, follow, follow. Hmm, there seems to be a theme with my Blogging Mentors.

How do you keep your blog current? I feel guilty answering this right now as life has been oh-so distracting lately, but I would say that the best way to keep your blog current is by you keeping up with your blog. If you’ve been thinking about something a lot, talk out loud about it on your blog. That way, other people can get in on what’s got your gears turning.

Using your followers as a sounding board is a good way to generate ideas. 

How has blogging helped your writing? Definitely! It holds you accountable. When I talk about having a lot of writing ideas, people get interested in seeing them, which gets me interested in actually writing about them. Otherwise, I could get stuck just talking about them for the rest of my life. Writer’s write, and bloggers write about writing a lot. So, when I blog and read other’s blogs, I feel I can always learn something, or at the very least be crazy inspired by other people’s awesomeness.

Well said! You've just explained why writers should blog.

Random Question: What is the theme song for your current WiP? I recently got turned on to a song by Ghenet Myrthil from her friend’s band Wishes and Thieves called “Lighthouse.” It sounds SO neat, and it has this floating vibe that gets me thinking about this semi-scifi-ish YA I’ve been noodling.

(Long pause.) Okay, I'm back. I really enjoyed that song! I can see why it inspires you. For everyone else interested in hearing it, click here.

Thank you SO much Emily for having me!!!

Thank YOU, Kelley!

27 comments:

Trisha said...

Great interview, and Kelley's blog sounds amazing!

Gina said...

Yay! Go Kelley!

Sarah said...

Thanks for introducing me to Kelley! It's true that followers can offer both inspiration and encouragement if you share what's on your mind with them.

Maggie said...

I listened to the song and Kelley's right, "floating vibe" is exactly what it gives you.

Abby Fowers said...

Awesome interview. It's so good to get to know Kelley better. Her blog is super fun! And I love that she has been "brainstorming" forever. What a good way to put it!

Kelley said...

Hey, everyone! I'm happy to meet new people (and see other people I already know are awesome)! Thanks again to E.R. for having me. :)

Michael Offutt, Expert Critic said...

Yeah, unless you're a celebrity, the only way to get people to take an interest in you is to take an interest in them. Celebrities for some reason seem to be able to get away with being completely selfish and having people just shower them with attention. It's weird and I don't understand it.

Meredith said...

Yay! I love Kelley's blog--she really does have the best reviews! Awesome interview.

Angela Cothran said...

Kelley has such a fun blog. I haven't thought about music for my WIP--that one is a great pick!

KarenG said...

Great interview! I should put Kelley on my sidebar list of book reviewers. Will check out her blog!

kirstenlopresti said...

Great interview! I've met a lot of inspiring people through blogging, too.

David P. King said...

Yay for Kelly!

I was glad to meet her a ways back. Good point. Blogging does make you accounting to get those ideas onto paper. Or the screen. Whichever. :)

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

So much fun. I love these questions and answers :)

L.G.Smith said...

All good advice, and I do appreciate people who write really good book reviews. There are so many overlooked writers out there who are creating some really great books.

i'm erin. said...

Kelly is friggin' awesome! Thanks for the great interview post.

Jessie Humphries said...

Why haven't I made Kelly my best friend yet? I gotta check this girl out!

ladonna watkins said...

Great interview. Some helpful tips.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

REally fun interview! Love reading about other writers' processes and perspectives.

Janet Johnson said...

Great interview, and great advice! Now I'm off to check out that song. :)

tfwalsh said...

Good interview and great to meet Kelley:)

Christa said...

Er, I've not been the best about keeping up with my blog either. :(
Thanks for the introduction, Emily. And Kelley, I love all your plot ideas and not enough time. Much better than the other way around.

Deana said...

Hey I actually posted today about being on the search for books. I will have to head over to WRittled and see if I can get some ideas. Thanks Emily and Kelly:)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Emily - Great interview!
Kelley, I love that you have too many plot ideas and not enough time . . . because I know how that feels. It's better to have too many ideas than not enough.

Nisa said...

Oh, that song does have a great vibe. What a great interview. It's always fun and interesting to get to know people better!

J. A. Bennett said...

Love Kelly! So glad you had her swing on by :)

Sarah Allen said...

Nothing beats sage advice from wise and more experienced writers. That is why I love the blogosphere.

Thanks ladies!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Jennifer Lee Young said...

What a great interview. Can't wait to check out Kelley's blog.

Recently Read

Princess in the Spotlight
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Scorpio Races
Shadow and Bone
Endlessly
Liesl and Po
The Iron Knight
Wintergirls
The Princess Diaries
Heat Wave
The Demon King
My Fair Godmother
Heartwishes
Seaweed
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games
Exiled
Beautiful Creatures


Emily R.'s favorite books »

© 2011 Emily R. King, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena