05 March 2012

Blogging Mentor Monday: Have You Met Erin?

This week our Blogging Mentor is Erin Summerill. Erin is the queen of random blogging. Her posts are unpredictable and entertaining.  For instance, she shares secrets about herself, which are sometimes funny, sometimes serious, but always honest. Here's an example. See how original and fun she is? I couldn't resist asking her to Mentor us. Meet Erin. 

This is what I think I look like. Obviously I don’t walk around permanently photoshopped, so…

This is probably what most people see me as.

Isn't she adorable? Okay, Erin. When and why did you start your blog?
I started blogging in 2006…I think. My hubby and I packed up and moved to Hawaii, so I started a blog to journal our life of poverty on a tropical island. When I decided to come out of the writer’s closet, it kind of morphed into a half-writing, half-cracked, but always random blog.

What is your most memorable blogging experience?
I didn’t realize people actually read my blog. Not until I posted this story:
The story is so old, that the writing horrifies me. But, it was the first time I realized that “crappy” things happen to everyone, so why not share. Har har.

Crap does happen. Why not blog about it? So, tell us a secret you haven’t already shared on your blog.
Well, it is Monday, so why not? Secret 23 of 100 is:
I’m a picker--I bite my nails and I’m obsessed with plucking stray neck hairs off of friends. Sometimes strangers.
I’ve actually gotten pretty good at not chewing my nails down to the nub all the time. But when I get stressed or stuck in a scene, off they come.
As with the neck hair thing, well, come on. How can you not see a neck hair and not want to pull it? In fact, I recently went to a writing conference, and had to restrain myself from snagging a lengthy strand off of a fellow blogger (insert evil laugh). When next we meet, your neck hairs I will greet!

Bloggers be warned! : ) Erin, what is the top reason you blog today?
I like connecting with other people. Mostly I’m interested in their opinions because I’m a huge people watcher and I have endless curiosity about how the other half lives. (Me being one half…you being the other half.)

Finding people like you makes blogging worthwhile. Finally, I have a random question: What genre do you write and why?
I write YA anything. I’ve tried fantasy, steam punk, urban fantasy, and now I’m writing a contemporary. I inhale books. They are my crack. So I think that’s why I keep trying different YA genre’s. I want to try my hand at all these amazing genre’s I read day after day.

Good answer. I say write whatever your heart desires!
Thanks for Mentoring us, Erin. Your quirky sense of humor is a refreshing find in the blogosphere!

52 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm following Erin now--thanks for introducing me to her! And Erin, you sound absolutely fantastic (and hilarious), but now I'm afraid that if I ever do meet you in person, all I'll be able to think about is whether I have stray hairs on my person.

Peaches Ledwidge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria said...

Thanks for introducing Erin. She's talented and funny. I followed her.

Cristina said...

oh, awesome choice for blogging mentor.. I'm always excited when she posts her secrets, they are such a fun read. and she's super cute.

I'm pretty sure I have a girl crush on her! but don't say anything, she might get freaked out and then block me from stalking her :)

L.G.Smith said...

Wow, Erin has been blogging a long time, compared to most. That's awesome it's still going.

Richard said...

She sounds like a fun person to follow. I'm off to check out her blog.

Kate said...

How can you not love a fellow nail gnawer and such a lovely, honest, and hillarious person!!!!!

elizabeth seckman said...

I'll have to go check out the blog. Thanks for the hook up.

J.L. Campbell said...

Emily does sound like a lot of fun. The neck hair thing made me chuckle. I get the same reaction when I see people sprouting nose and chin hairs.

Jennifer Lee Young said...

What a fun interview Emily & Erin. Thanks so much for sharing. Time to go check out Erin's blog :)

Kristine said...

I love Erin! She's always fun to read. Thanks for spotlighting her so we could find out more!

Meredith said...

How fun! Books are my crack, too. :)

Angela Cothran said...

I love Erin! She is absolutely hilarious. I've heard a rumor that if you go to a conference with Erin, you land an agent. Lets find her in May and rub up next to her :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Erin is pretty even without any Photoshopping!

Angela Brown said...

A fellow fingernail gnawer. My poor fingers hate it when I get all anxious cause they know what's about to happen.

Thanks, Emily, for having Erin and Erin, you are so super cool-arious.

Morgan said...

Erin is too cute ;) Loved this post, Emily! You're connected with the coolest people evah. Thanks for sharing! :D

cherie said...

I LOVE and absolutely ADORE Erin! She's super cool! ;)

Theresa said...

Great interview! I'm jumping over to Erin's blog now :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

So glad you do these because now I'm following Erin! Great interview.

Leigh Covington said...

This is awesome ladies. I can't get enough of Erin. She has such a fun personality and always has me laughing. Although now I'm concerned about my neck hair! Hmmm - I hope I don't have any. *cringe* And don't get me started on nail biting. I am the same way!

Great stuff girls! Thanks for having Erin over to share Emily!

David P. King said...

I have met Erin, and see her on a weekly basis. When her book comes out, watch out, because it's super!

Thanks for hosting Erin, Emily! :)

Juliana L. Brandt said...

She is too cute. Great interview, Emily :)

Jessie Humphries said...

Erin never fails to amaze and entertain. She is also good at spooning :).

Sarah Ahiers said...

oh man, i also pick my nails, especially when i'm distracted. They always get ruined when i'm at a movie

Deana said...

Erin, I've made a note, if I ever meet you shave all hairs on neck:)

I bite the crap out of my nails too!

Great interview Emily!

Katie Dodge said...

I've seen Erin in real life and there is no need for photoshop. ;) Always love these interviews. :D

Nas Dean said...

Hi Emily,

Thanks for introducing Erin to us, she sounds wonderful!

Congratulations are in order Emily, as you won the Louisa George 2 in 1 Medical romance at my blog!

Check this post for instructions for getting your prize!

http://louisageorge.blogspot.com/2012/03/and-winner-of-romance-book-paradise.html

Brinda said...

Nice to meet you, Erin. The neck hair yanking tendency will be burned on my brain with the picture of your face, but I know many writers with much more random tendencies..so...heh. :)

Clarissa Draper said...

What a cool and funky blogger. She's a writer too! THanks for the introduction.

i'm erin. said...

Oh wow Emily! Thanks so much for having me on your blog today. I just got off the plane from flying all day and I feel so motion sick-happy-excited-weird-and tired. Thank you! It was so much fun to be here.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love Erin! She's definitely the queen of random blogging. And she isn't kidding about the plucking random hairs, either. ;) Awesome interview, Emily!

Sarah B said...

Thanks for the interview. So fun to read about Erin.

Carrie Butler said...

Erin is too flippin' fun. Great interview, ladies! :D

Tara Tyler said...

love erin! never holds back!
and how does that saying go?
you can pick your friends but you cant pick your friends' noses (and neck hair =)

Romance Book Haven said...

Erin is so funny! Thansk for the introduction, Emily!

Emily R. King said...

Wow Erin! Look at all the people who pick at nails and neck hairs with you! Who knew? : )

Thanks for stopping by to get to know Erin better, everyone!

Botanist said...

That post just cracked me up! Wonderful. I'll have to be careful of stray hairs though, I can't afford to lose any more.

Alleged Author said...

I absolutely love Erin! *hides neck just in case*

Lan said...

I am so going to follow Erin right now! She is hilarious.

Am really enjoying these mentor posts!

Medeia Sharif said...

I love to pick dried glue, tape, and other things. Never heard of the neck hair thing. :)

It was great getting to know Erin.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Thanks for introducing us to Erin! This mentor Mondays is a great meme-type thing.

Sophia Chang said...

Awww, soooo great to see Erin as always!!

Laura said...

thanks for the intro - what a cool gal! I'm off to meet her.
Lx

Sarah Pearson said...

I love Erin. Whenever I see a post in my reader from her, I know I'm certain to be giggling :-)

Stephen Tremp said...

Its great to have more than one look. Me, I just have one. Plain ol' Steve. Thanks for the post! And neck hairs can be really nasty. What's up with that? Just grab a mirror and a razor and clean that neck up dude.

Mark Noce said...

Very cool! This brings to mind the idea that we don't sell a story when we write, we sell ourselves, and that's what people want to read about most.

Carol Kilgore said...

Great interview. I just went to Erin's and followed her.

Cortney Pearson said...

Nice to meet Erin today! Those pictures are definitely so cute! :D Going to check out her blog now...

Michelle Dennis Evans said...

Thanks for the intro and mentor.
I get the picking and neck hair thing hehehe

Jenny Woolf said...

She sounds like fun. I'm going to check out her blog. Thanks for posting this! By the way I love the photo below this post, it's quite eerie in a photogenic sort of way. (I mean the one of the ship)

Coleen Patrick said...

Fun interview Emily! I just stopped by Erin's site--looks great, thanks for sharing :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Awesome person for today. I have been a follower of Erin's blog for a while. She is so cute and quirky (and I thought that before the photos shopping comment). She is one of those people that always make you smile. Her smile and her uplifting voice are both contagious . Thank you for spotlighting her. I adore Erin.

Recently Read

Princess in the Spotlight
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Scorpio Races
Shadow and Bone
Endlessly
Liesl and Po
The Iron Knight
Wintergirls
The Princess Diaries
Heat Wave
The Demon King
My Fair Godmother
Heartwishes
Seaweed
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games
Exiled
Beautiful Creatures


Emily R.'s favorite books »

© 2011 Emily R. King, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena