12 March 2012

Blogging Mentor Mondays: Jenny's Imaginary World

This week Jenny Morris has generously agreed to be our Mentor. Jenny and I share a love of music, candy, and genres (we both write YA paranormal). In her soon-to-be-querying MS, THE GUARDIAN TRIBE, her MC, Kella, can fuse with her guardian angel and do miraculous things like fly, heal, and speak different languages. Cool, huh? I weaseled my way into beta reading Jenny's MS, but long before that we met through, you guessed it, blogging.

Hi, Jenny! Tell these fine people about yourself.
I am a mother of two lovely boys and wife of one. I was born the 6th of 7th children. I lived in three of the four A states but call the great Northwest my home now. In an alternate universe I would be a super cool rocker chick by day and a ninja by night. But in this world I put pen to paper and pretend.

Number six of seven? Wow! I'm the middle of five.

When and why did you start your blog? 
I started in July of 2011. I'd been stalking a few blogs for a while and set mine up but hadn't actually hit publish until I went onto a WriteOnCon forum and found Megan and Rena. I knew the only way I was going to be able to connect with other writers was by joining the community. AND I can't believe everything that has happened since. The people I've met and things I've learned are priceless.

You mean me, right? :D

You have participated in quite a few blog hops. What have you learned from them? 
That this community is filled with so many talented writers it's unbelievable. And that the writing community is one of the most supportive groups out there. Plus the blog hops are fun and give me ideas to fill my blog schedule. 

I agree. Whenever my blog is getting stale, I join a blog hop.

What is your most memorable blogging experience? 
This is a hard one. I remember the first time an author commented on my blog. That was really cool. But I also loved the blog hop Megan and I did. The stories everyone wrote were awesome. Last one-my son did a book review and the author commented on it. Seeing my son's face light up when I read it to him was one of my favorite moments. 

Aw, I bet that was special.

What is the top reason you continue to blog today? 
The relationships. Before I started blogging I didn't really have any "friends." Yes, I have acquaintances and family members but not friends that I had much in common with. But now I have people who support me and lift me up on my worst writing day. And understand that the weird voices in my head are normal and they will go away once I write them down on paper.

Nothing helps you feel normal like someone who is as weird (or weirder) than you are. Ha!

Random Question: If you could visit any setting in any book, where would you go? 
Hands down Narnia.

Nice! My mind jumped straight to Prince Caspian (blame it on the pregnancy hormones). Let's admire him for a second, shall we?
All right, time's up! : ) Thanks for mentoring us, Jenny And for those of you aren't following Jenny's blog, you can click here to scope it out.

48 comments:

Brinda said...

Nice to meet you, Jenny. I agree about the support of fellow writer/bloggers. There is a special connection that happens when you talk with others who have been there/done that.

Kyra Lennon said...

I also agree that other writers are probably the most supportive groups of people in the world. I'm so happy to have met so many cool people - including Jenny!

Cristina said...

Nice pick Emily. Jenny ROCKS, and I would know, since we're CP's and I get to read her work and be "virtual" friends. though I'm pretty sure were she closer I'd physically stalk her, LOL

Coleen Patrick said...

Great interview Emily! I'm off to check out Jenny's blog :)

Richard said...

Good interview. It's nice to have writing friends. Non-writing friends just can't understand how it is.

L.G.Smith said...

It's true about the friendships. Finding people on line who I have so much in common with has been fantastic. They were seriously lacking in my "real" life before I started blogging.

elizabeth seckman said...

I am the youngest of 5! Cheers for big families.
Nice to meet you Jenny. I'm so glad I started blogging too, the connections have been priceless. (yes Emily I do mean you!)

Cassie Mae said...

Oh girl, I love you! I didn't have many friends either, now I feel like I have more than anyone else I know, lol.

Besides, who else would I exchange about 50 + emails a day with? ;)

And Emily... ditto for you! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

This community really is awesome!

Jenny S. Morris said...

It is so nice to meet all of you too.

Yes, Em, I meant you when I was talking about meeting the BEST people.

Cristina-I would love to be stalked by you, too bad we live so far away.

Thanks for having me Emily!!

David P. King said...

So glad to see Jenny up today!

I didn't realize her blog isn't even a year old yet. Well, she's doing an amazing job so far. Love her blog. :)

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I love Prince Caspian. *sigh* Great interview ladies! :)

Meredith said...

Yay for the blogging community! And for Narnia. And Prince Caspian. :) Great interview!

Johanna Garth said...

New follower from Jenny's blog and agreed, agreed about the warm writing/blogging community!

cherie said...

Lovely interview! And Jenny pretty much said the same things I would say myself about blogging. I've found great friends through blogging, and I'm grateful for them everyday.

(And yeah, Prince Caspian is a hottie! :D )

Donna K. Weaver said...

But didn't you notice there's a bunch of psycho people in Narnia?

And I agree about the friendships we make through blogging. Love them!

Jenny S. Morris said...

See everyone's enthusiasm for the blogging community? You guys are all awesome.

Donna-I can handle psycho people as long as I have Aslan, and the Pevensie family. ;0)

Kelley said...

Yay Jen!

I'm a ninja too! ;)

Jolene Perry said...

What a FAB interview!!!

I think my fav thing about interviews AND blog hops is how many people I've met in both.

SO cool!!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

It's funny how a woman can so casually use the word "lovely" to describe boys or men. If a guy were to call his sons "lovely" he would be judged for it.

Also Jenny looks smashing in yellow. That in itself is hard to do.

Carrie Butler said...

I loved and agreed with Jenny's reason for blogging. The writing community gives me the warm and fuzzies sometimes. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Good to meet you, Jenny. I'm met some really great people in blogland.

Hey, Emily, hope your week started out wonderful.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Blogging is a great way to find like-minded people.

Carol Kilgore said...

Nice to meet you, Jenny!

Jessie Humphries said...

Oh, yes I am an O.G. follower of Jenny's :) (BTW, that O.G. stands for original gangsta...not Olive Garden)
Keep rockin' it Jenny!

tfwalsh said...

Great resposnes Jenny... yeah I'd pick the Narnia world setting too...:)

Jenny S. Morris said...

Michael-Um, thanks. My mom always put me in yellow and I used to HATE it.

Jessie-Haha. You can be my original Olive Garden follower. Dang, now I want soup, salad and bread sticks!

i'm erin. said...

I love Jenny's blog! I think I can be considered an OG follower too...but maybe not as early as Jessie.

ladonna watkins said...

Great post and I would pick Narnia, too.

Alleged Author said...

Blog hops really are fun, aren't they? I love them!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Yippee for that first comment, Jenny.

Thanks, Emily.

Emily R. King said...

Yay for Jenny!

Look at all the love. I'm not surprised at all because Jenny is a great Mentor!

Thanks for supporting her, all!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Great interview! I love Jenny, in part because she is an amazing writer and blogger, and in part because she as a mutual dislike for Tom Cruise.

Shiela Calderón Blankemeier said...

A mutual dislike for Tom Cruise? Count me in :) Great interview - going to Jenny's blog now. Thanks for the intro!

Laura Barnes said...

Always love Monday Mentors. Great interview!

Lan said...

Jenny, you are a lady after my own heart. Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian? Yes please. I can't believe how many people there are with big families out there! I grew up with people giving me funny looks because I was the fourth of six kids. Who's laughing now huh?

Stephen Tremp said...

Its great to have a mentor! And good luck Jenny with the alternate lifestyle of a rocking ninja!

Leigh Covington said...

Lovely interview ladies. Narnia would be awesome. Especially with Prince Caspian!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great interview! Loved "But now I have people who support me and lift me up on my worst writing day. And understand that the weird voices in my head are normal and they will go away once I write them down on paper" - that's exactly how I feel. I love my friends and family, but not all of them "get" writer weirdness.

Jennifer Lee Young said...

That must have been an exciting moment for your son. I think I remember that post, unless your son has don't more book reviews (not sure) Anyway, great interview ladies :)

Jenny S. Morris said...

THANKS to everyone for all the love! Ya, for OG followers.

Yes, Tasha and Sheila, no Tom Cruise please. ;0)

Lan-Where I grew up big families were not that common so I got the weird stares too.

Tyrean-Ya, I just recently told someone about the voices and they looked at me like I was crazy. They are NOT a writer. Hehe.

Mark Noce said...

Cool interview, hopping over to her blog now:)

Maggie said...

Another fun blogging mentor. Thanks Emily!

QueendSheena said...

For me I'd visit Harry Potter. Lovely interview, Jenny's so warm and open about her work. And he son lighting up is so precious.

Theresa Milstein said...

Nice to meet you, Jenny Morris. Good luck with your manuscript.

Emily, thanks for hosting her.

Melodie Wright said...

Great interview, you two! Jenny and I started blogging at almost exactly the same time. Does that mean we're blog twins?

Romance Reader said...

Lovely to meet you Jenny.

Thanks Emily for hosting her.

Riya

Sarah Pearson said...

I really enjoy Jenny's blog. I thought she'd been around longer than that!