09 April 2012

Blogging Mentor Monday: Brinda The Great


First, I'd like to point out what a fantastic character name Brinda Berry has. Brinda Berry could be a ballet dancer who was mysteriously murdered, or a high-powered lawyer fighting for women's rights, or a mean headmistress of an all-girls school. The possibilities are endless! But that's enough about her versatile name. Brinda Berry is actually a dedicated blogger with a bangin' author's website and a love of cairn terriers. Welcome Brinda!

When and why did you start your blog? 
In January 2010, I started a blog called The Writer's Block and wrote about coming out of the writer's closet. I really didn't post often in the beginning and didn't have a clue about the blogging community. It was more of an online journal for myself because I didn't have many visitors. My first post was called My New Life.

Many writers began because an agent or publisher advised them to. I was like you. I had no clue about the blogging community. I just wanted to write.

You have a slick author's website. How did it come to be?
Thanks for the compliment! I do my own website. In March of 2011, I submitted my YA, The Waiting Booth, to publishers and decided to move from a blog to a website with a blog component. I think it's a very important marketing tool for aspiring and published authors. I enjoy doing the website and thinking of extras a reader might like.

Your website is so easy to navigate! It's apparent that you've put a lot of long hours into it.

Your newest book, Whisper of Memory, was released last month. How did you prepare for its launch?
I asked my writer friends for help with my release and gratefully accepted any publicity they could give me. It's amazing how giving the blogging community is when you ask for help. Because I'm with a small press, it's up to me to come up a marketing gameplan. I've worked to increase my Twitter and Facebook following. I also contracted with a YA blogger/reviewer named Bree of These Paper Worlds  to arrange a tour in April. She set up twenty blog stops with excerpts, posts, and reviews. I'm a little crazy right now because I'm also doing the A-Z Challenge this month.

Holy blogging dedication! I admire you for keeping up with it all.

What is your most memorable blogging experience to date?
I don't know that I have one memorable post. I think at one point I sat back and got really excited when more than two comments appeared on my post.

Ha! I remember when that happened for me. I was giddy.

Random Question: If you could be a spy, astronaut, witch, or princess for a day, which would you choose and why?
I'd choose to be a spy. I love the idea of dressing in disguises, solving mysteries, and playing with all the tech gadgets.

Brinda Berry, secret agent. See? Another good character name! :) Thanks for being our Mentor, Brinda!

Brinda Berry lives in the southern US with her family and two spunky cairn terriers. She has a BSE in English and French and a MEd in Learning Systems Technology. She's terribly fond of chocolate, coffee, and books that take her away from reality.  She doesn't mind being called a geek or “crazy dog lady”. When she's not working the day job or writing a novel, she's guilty of surfing the internet for no good reason. 

Brinda's Blog
Whisper of Memory Blog Tour 

55 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Brinda Berry is a super cool name! I will go and take a look at her website now! :D

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful name. I enjoyed your post a great read.

Yvonne.

Brinda said...

Thanks, Emily, for your great introduction, having me here and THAT TITLE. I just noticed it and laughed out loud.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Got excited when more than two comments appeared on my posts - I can relate! Brinda has definitely mastered blogging now and she's one of the first to comment on my posts every time.

Jack said...

Congrats on your book release, Whisper of Memory...that's awesome news! :)

Also, good work with your A-to-Z blogging participation! That's phenomenal you can do all that and keep up with your book release, too!

E. Arroyo said...

A great interview and Congrats!

Kelley said...

Great interview!

I remember when I got my first post with a comment...great day :)

Suze said...

'I think at one point I sat back and got really excited when more than two comments appeared on my post.'

Such a cool feeling. The sense that someone happened upon your words and was moved enough to comment.

Angela Cothran said...

I LOVE Brinda! She is always so smart and funny! Her book is sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read. I can't wait :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Hello to you both. The Waiting Booth is a name that stands out so I remember it whenever I come upon it. Brinda is pretty unique too. Happy to know a bit more about another writer.

cherie said...

So cool! Love the interview. I'm off to check out her website now...

Have a good day, Emily! And I hope you're doing fine, pregnancy-wise. <3

Amanda Olivieri said...

Great interview! Nice to meet you, Brinda!

Gloria Richard said...

Since we're on a Brin name basis, I'll have to refrain from commenting on your name.

Ah! What a treat of a read THE WAITING BOOTH was. You left your character (whom I've invested in emotionally, thanks to you) at the precipice of her next adventure.

And, yes, I'm still in awe (and more than a tiny bit envious) of that melting-milk-chocolate-on-a-summer day kiss. Sizzle.

I am so ready to read WHISPER OF MEMORY. And...Woot! It's next up.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

What a fun name! Great interview and I'll definitely be checking out her books! :)

Deana said...

You're right, Brinda Berry is a great secret agent name:)
Brinda I loved learning even more about you and Emily is right, your website is so easy. I love it!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Brinda's website is shmexy.

Suzi said...

The Waiting Booth & Whisper of Memory look interesting. I've always enjoyed spy/drama/mystery movies, but I've just never read much of that type of story. These look good though; I'll have to check them out.

Pk Hrezo said...

Oh yeah, a spy for sure!!! Nice interview, ladies!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice interview!

Johanna Garth said...

Very cool name and looking forward to checking out her blog!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Her website and blog look fun! I totally agree about the name.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Great interview, I shall go check out the website now!

Leigh Covington said...

Fabulous interview ladies, and so nice to meet you Brinda. I would love to be a spy too! That would be awesome!

Susan Roebuck said...

I'm full of admiration for Brinda. I just don't know how she does everything she does - she's an example (to me anyway). Excellent interview and we'll look out for Brinda with a new hat - spy! Nice to meet you Emily!

Susan Kane said...

How wonderful to host a fellow blogger, Emily. Brinda sounds like an entertaining writer.

Kelly Barnes said...

This post is a shot in the arm. I'm still excited to see two views.

I love the look your blog and I'm off to visit Brinda Berry.

K.S. Lewis said...

What a great interview. ^_^
And a lovely name. Looking forward to checking out her blog.

Richard said...

Good post. Always interesting to learn about other writers.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

A great intro. I love her name too and I'll check out her website. Thanks, Emily.

Carol Kilgore said...

Nice to meet you Brinda. I'd be a spy, too :)

Great interview!

Hi, Emily :)

L.G.Smith said...

From ballet dancer to spy!

I'm so impressed she did her own website. I'm waiting for my teenaged son to learn how to do it in school so he can build me one. :))

Carrie Butler said...

That is a fun name! :) Great interview, ladies!

Christa Desir said...

Brinda is totally formidable. I don't get how she has time in her days. She is the social networking goddess and knows everything. Really.

Jay Noel said...

Is she the only Berry on her family tree? (Sorry, had to do the Glee reference).

And the blogging community IS very willing to help you out. It's wonderful.

Hope Roberson said...

My first blog post was about 'coming out of the closet' too :) It was hard to admit I was a writer, well, writing something. People outside the writing world don't grasp that the road is long. Great interview ladies :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Awesome interview!

And I agree--that's a great name. :)

Morgan said...

Brinda is AWESOME. I've seen her around and I've loved everything I've read about her ;) Thanks for the fun interview, Emily. Loved it! (And I would choose to be a spy too) ;)

Samantha said...

Wow. That is one cool name! She sounds awesome :D

Ella said...

You have an awesome name! I too would pick spy! ;D
Fun interview you too~

Congrats and Good Luck on your journey~

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I think Brinda's right in that it would be cool to be a spy. I think it's kind of like being a secret superhero, which is why I think the James Bond movies (and books) and shows like Alias and Covert Affairs are so popular.

Shelley Munro said...

The two comments made me laugh. I remember that well :)

Sarah Pearson said...

That truly is an awesome name! She sounds like one busy lady :-)

Shelley Sly said...

This was a really fun interview! Awesome name, too! Thanks, Brinda & Emily!

Tara Tyler said...

great getting to know brinda better!

Tamara Narayan said...

Names with that alliteration flair are cool. I'll have to remember that for my future characters. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

elizabeth seckman said...

Great interview! Best of luck Brinda, now I must go check out your site!

Mark Noce said...

Cool interview! I just checked out her site, thanks:)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I checked out her site. It is easy to navigate. This was a very good interview. Brinda seems so open an knowledgeable about her work and craft.

Shallee said...

Great interview, ladies! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Thanks lovely ladies.
I have been enjoying Brinda's blog for sometime now.
Xx

Mara Rae said...

Great interview, and I grew up with a very mischievous cairn terrier named Rosie :)

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Fun interview with another blogger I have not met. Yea! Thanks for the link to Brinda's blog. I am now a follower. : )

Emily R. King said...

Look at all the love, Brinda! See, you are great. ;)

Medeia Sharif said...

It was great seeing Brinda here. I enjoy her blog tremendously.

Kate Coursey said...

Thanks so much for the interview! I can imagine that being with a small press is tough at times...much harder to market your book. But it's not impossible! I'm going to go check out her website now :).

Recently Read

Princess in the Spotlight
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Scorpio Races
Shadow and Bone
Endlessly
Liesl and Po
The Iron Knight
Wintergirls
The Princess Diaries
Heat Wave
The Demon King
My Fair Godmother
Heartwishes
Seaweed
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games
Exiled
Beautiful Creatures


Emily R.'s favorite books »

© 2011 Emily R. King, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena