11 June 2012

Blogging Mentor Monday: Jessie Humphries is a B-Word

That's right! I said it. Jessie Humphries from B-Word is Beautiful, Blonde, and Big... hearted (you totally thought I was going to write something else, didn't you?). A Book lover, Believer in all things Beautiful, and Blog stalker, Jessie is proof that Blonde's do have more fun. I'm psyched to have her here to talk to us about her Blogging origins.

HI JESSIE! To kick this off, please explain why you started your blog:
Because my writing partner Peggy Eddleman talked me into it. I know that sounds like a cop out, but after a writing conference last year she called me and said, "I'm starting a serious writing blog. I am going to be seriously committed to it. And you should seriously do it too." I said okay. That girl could talk me into jumping off a cliff. So we jumped together. We are going to be celebrating our blogoversary next week in a most EPIC kind of way. 

I look forward to seeing what you two do. This month is my one-year blogaversary as well. Happy blogaversary to you!

How did you come up with your “B” themed blog?
Peggy and I brainstormed ideas on themes for our blogs. Peggy quickly went to cookies. I went to cuss words. I am sort of irreverent like that. But more seriously, it came to me in a dream. No, that's not true either. I don't know, it just seemed appropriate. I am an attorney, and sometimes aggressive female lawyers get called the B-Word. (And in those cases, they don't mean Book Lover or Blog Stalker). 

Why are men called "cutthroat" but women are called "B-words"? I've often wondered that...

How has blogging helped your writing?
Well, I would say the number one way it has helped my writing is by connecting me to critique partners and beta readers that I would never have otherwise found. But it has also helped me develop my writing voice a little better. 

Beta reader—another great B-word. :)

What is your most memorable blogging experience to date?
Without a doubt it is the response I had to draft to a certain agent debacle that occurred after this year's Storymakers conference. I was mentioned by name on an agent's blog in a not-so-flattering way because I cancelled a pitch session. The commenters attacked me as "stupid," "ridiculous," and "cowardly." It was a humiliating experience, but one that I believe taught me a great deal. I'm not sure if all those hundreds of readers of the agent's blog ever read my blog response. I wonder if they understand I didn't cancel because of fear or cowardice -- I cancelled because after a dinner conversation I questioned whether it was a good fit. Regardless, I learned that the blogosphere can be a small place. And that I have a lot of great friends out there who immediately came to my defense. We have to be careful what we write and how we conduct ourselves. It matters. 

Yes it does.

Random Question: What genre do you write? Why?
I write Young Adult. It's what I love to read. I thrive on budding romance, young loves, first experiences. Sometimes I feel too middle-aged, washed up, settled down. While I love my dashing husband, my four beautiful children, and even our irritating little dog Max, I long for adventure. I want to remember what a first kiss feels like on the beach with a boy I am just getting to know. I want to reminisce about the freedom of the future. The dream of what life holds past 17. I live vicariously through the characters I read and write. That's not weird is it? 

Not at all. I write YA for the same reasons.

Thanks for being our Mentor, Jessie. You really are a B-word... a Bodacious Blogger!

49 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

It was actually the post-Storymakers storm that led me to Jessie's blog! It was quite the fiasco, but I am glad I found the blog! :D

Brinda said...

It's nice to meet you, Jessie.

I also cancelled a pitch session once for the same reason. The agent was a speaker and prior to my appointment talking about what he didn't want to represent. I didn't want to waste his time. It also opened up the opportunity for someone else who did fit his wish list. Wow. I can't believe you were named in the blog.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I enjoyed your post, strange things do happen I do like your "B" words.

Yvonne.

Christa Desir said...

Awesome choice, Emily. So glad I've been introduced to Jessie. I just went to check out her blog. Very cool.

Cristina said...

you have the best interviews, Emily.
I love Jessie's blog and her humor!!!

Nick Wilford said...

I love Jessie's wit. Her posts always make for good reads.

Shame about the negative experience on the agent's blog, it seems like people are quick to jump on a bandwagon when it comes to slagging people off. It was a smart choice to cancel if it didn't seem a good fit, I think.

jaybird said...

I was warned once, not to go work for a certain blond, "B" word female attorney. I went on the interview anyway and fifteen years later, that particular "B" remains one of my very best friends :)

Sorry to hear about that agent debacle Jessie. Although I'm very glad Emily interviewed you and featured your blog here!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Blogging does connect us to a lot of people we wouldn't find otherwise!

Cassie Mae said...

Jessie is so super cute! One of my favorite bloggers. I just caught up with the Storymakers thing (because I'm nosy and googled the snot out of it) and I'm giving Jessie a cyber hug and butt grab right now for being so strong during all of that drama.

Morgan said...

LOL! I loved all the "B's" Emily. ;D

And Jessie rocks. Loved the interview.

Precy Larkins said...

Yay, Jessie! She IS indeed Beautiful, Blonde, and...and...Brilliant!

Love the interview. I did see that debacle over the agent's blog post, but you handled it really well, Jessie. Kudos to you!

Hey Emily, I hope you're having a fab time with your sweet baby. Hugs!

Meredith said...

Great interview, especially the last answer--that's how I view YA, too! I'm off to check out Jessie's blog now. :)

Taffy said...

Hi Jessie! *waves* Jessie is not only a Blogging Diva she's a Bodacious Writer!

Matthew MacNish said...

I know Jessie. Hi there!

S.P. Bowers said...

Loved finding out more about Jessie, great interview.

Tara Tyler said...

bitchin interview!
can i say that?
oh well, had to!
thanks for letting us get to know jessie Better!

Johanna Garth said...

Great interview and sorry about the blog/agent fiasco but it sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons!

Jessie Humphries said...

Oh wow, Emily! I totally forgot this was today! I guess that's par for the course: I am a flaky yellow and you are an organized red :). Seriously you are the best. You are totally the Beautiful one. In fact, having met you in person, your profile pic doesn't do you justice. Whereas my profile pic hides the fact that in real life I am a troll! Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Looks like I've fooled everyone for a little while :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

This was a great post. Love you both - smart and beautiful :)

Jolene Perry said...

Great interview. Awesome. Andi totally think I missed all the drama over the agent thing. But I'm telling you...the publishing world is a small one, and I'm always afraid of offending- which I've probably done a lot of...

Carol Kilgore said...

Great and informative post. Nice to meet you, Jessie.

Hi, Emily!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Fun interview. There's a mean b word for guys, too. But it goes back to their mothers. Why does everything get blamed in women?

Leigh Covington said...

This is fabulous!!!!! I love it! And dude! I totally missed the drama with the agent! CRAP! Must.Find.NOW!

I totally think you made the right decision Jessie. You are amazing and confident and you can do what you need to! So... you go girl!

Great interview ladies!

Leslie Pugh said...

Great interview! I loved reading more about you. And I have to tell you I was impressed with the way you handled the whole Storymakers debacle. You are one classy, sassy writer and if I were an agent, I'd sign you today! :)

Kristine said...

Awesome!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I <3 Jessie. So not a b-word! (Except Bringer of epicly Brilliant Blogiversaries.)
Fabulous interview, lovely ladies!

Ruth Josse said...

Jessie is the Best! I'll stand in your corner anytime, my friend. Thanks for the interview, ladies!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

It's interesting how the internet relaxes people enough that they can go and trash someone on another person's blog without any regard to the person's feelings.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great interview. Loved hearing how Jessie came up with the name of her blog. Sad about the agent thing but I think you handled it well.

Coleen Patrick said...

"I live vicariously through the characters I read and write."
I write and read YA for all the same reasons!!
Great interview, thanks Emily! Off to check out Jessie's blog :)

Alleged Author said...

Great interview! I love her and read her posts all the time. :)

Aristoph said...

Nice interview. I always wondered how people get interviews like these. Can you contact me and let me know? Please?

tfwalsh said...

Love the interview... great post. I'll be checking out her blog now:)

Mark Murata said...

It's as if you and Emily decided to cock your heads at the same angle for your pictures.

LynNerdKelley said...

Bravo for this blogalicious interview, Emily and Jessie. I celebrated my bloggaversary in May. I never would have guessed you've been blogging less than a year, Emily.

Nice to see you again. My blogging time has been cut way down these days. :(

So nice to meet you, Jessie! Hope to see you again.

Joanie Coon said...

Jessie is Beautiful & Brilliant - just like her mother...
Love you <3

Donna said...

Wonderful interview. It was great to learn more about Jessie.

J. A. Bennett said...

I write YA for the same reasons! I think it's crazy of that agent to put you out there like that. Rude! Love ya Jessie :)

Kim said...

What a fun interview! And that agent debacle is a whole lot more interesting than anything I've encountered while blogging :)

Deana said...

Happy blogoversary to you both! Great interview ladies:)

Angela Ackerman said...

Love all the B words! (haha, the nice ones, of course!)

Shame what happened at that agent's blog. I don't think it was professional to discuss something like that and name you by name, but that's just me. Hugs...I think it shows who you are tho that you faced what happened and took responsibility for it!

Wishing you loads of success!

Angela Ackerman

elizabeth seckman said...

Great interview! I miss the wonder of youth too. The time when just saying it made it so. Sigh.

Medeia Sharif said...

I love the positive spin on the b-word. I'm following Jessie now.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Great interview. I cringed at the agent drama--that must have been awful for Jessie. I'm on my way to visit her blog. Thanks, Emily!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Sorry about the response from the "cancelled a pitch session."

Caryn Caldwell said...

Great interview! I love her sense of humor, and am going to check out her blog after this. So sorry about the debacle from the pitch cancellation. It's ridiculous that people who only know part of the story would come after you and attack you.

Oh, and like you, Emily, I've noticed the double standard where men are considered cut-throat whereas women have the less-flattering b-word.

Lisa Regan said...

Great interviews. Ugh, I hate debacles!

Rebecca Kiel said...

Great post. It is hard for me to imagine connecting with beta readers through blogging. But that could very well be because I love my beta readers and one of them lives in my own home.

Suze said...

Cookies and Cuss Words is a catchy blog title ...

Recently Read

Princess in the Spotlight
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Scorpio Races
Shadow and Bone
Endlessly
Liesl and Po
The Iron Knight
Wintergirls
The Princess Diaries
Heat Wave
The Demon King
My Fair Godmother
Heartwishes
Seaweed
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games
Exiled
Beautiful Creatures


Emily R.'s favorite books »

© 2011 Emily R. King, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena